Fine Art Wave Photography in Scotland - Top 7 Tips
As a professional corporate and event photogrpaher working in Edinburgh and throughout Scotland, when I am not out photographing events and sport, I add to my collection of fine art infrared photography and also landscape work. Sometimes you get a day, especially in Scotland at this time of year, when the weather appears unsuitable for any type of outdoor photogrpahy. However, as I live in Dunbar in East Lothian, often the storms we get can be ideal for photography and it also adds to my collection of wave photographs. Yesterday was a case in point and it was also raining, so I had to be careful. So here is my top 5 tips for wave photography:
1. Be prepared with clothing and protection for you gear if possible, yesterday was a spur of the moment photoshoot, so I had neither, but try and avoid this.
2. Dont take too many risks, I have lost 2 cameras to salt water and waves can be unpredictable, once I was covered by a wave which destryed my gear, now my insurers will not cover me anymore for salt water damage. So be careful.
3. Shoot with a view to either colour or black and white, yesterday was dull, so I was trying to visualise a finalised black and white image.
4. Try shooting at different speeds to freeze movement or create a blur effect.
5. Photograph with a view to including the landscape and also try up close images, depicting the waves on their own, the effect can often be interesting.
6. Try to catch the wave just at the right time at peak height as they crash against the tide or the buildings/landscape.
7. Include people sometimes, to add drama and scale to the photograph.
Hope this helps.
Until next time.
Keywords: fine art infrared photography, professional corporate and event photogrpaher edinburgh scotland
No comments posted.
Commercial Freelance event and corporate Photographer, Edinburgh, Scotland
Fine Art and Landscape Photographer Scotland
Recent PostsBack to the Future with the Kelpies Sports Photography in East Dunbartonshire The Kelpies in infrared New Horizons for Professional Infrared and Landscape Photographers in Scotland Urban Photography from Glasgow Urban photography from Glasgow City Centre Horse in Infrared Professional Photographers in Scotland and the Importance of Location Infrared Photograph Dunbar Ideas for Projects During the Pandemic for Photographers in Scotland