For todays blog I am going to examine the importance of knowledge for the event and conference photographer in Edinburgh and throughout Scotland. I will be looking at it from the perspective of mainly conference and event photographers in Scotland, but I will also touch on other genres of photography, such as infrared photography in Scotland, for instance. So, before we look at the important things to look for if you are hiring an event photographer in Scotland, have a look at some photos from my favourite genre of photography - conference photography Colin Wright Photography, Edinburgh and Glasgow corporate and event photographer | Edinburgh corporate and event photographer conference photography collection.
The importance of knowledge for the event and conference photographer in Edinburgh
1. Knowing your subject is crucial for photographers of all genres. Take sport for example. You will need to anticipate in a team game, where the ball will be coming next, in addition to the likelihood of players moving into position for the photograph. Your own position as a photographer will also be very important. If you have any choice in the matter, your knowledge will inform you of the best position.
2. Experience and knowledge of conferences helps you in anticipating the best times to photograph certain things. This will also influence your position and like sports photographers in Scotland, anticipation is key.
3. Knowledge of the genre will give you access to the right people. When it comes to conference photography in Scotland, I know exactly who to speak to if I need anything on the day and communication skills are key, as you will know how to approach people in a moment of crisis.
4. Knowledge of the genre will give you confidence to do a good job. I have photographed so many conferences in Edinburgh, which makes me very confident when I photograph an event in Scotland.
5. Knowledge of the ins and outs of the event, means you can concentrate on taking excellent photos and also you will enjoy the day. I think I enjoy photographing conferences in Scotland and the North of England more than any other genre and this is partly due to my knowledge of the genre.
6. Knowledge of the genre helps you overcome crisis moments. You will know what to expect. A sports photographer in Scotland, will allow for all eventualities ie weather, extra time etc.
7.Your knowledge and enthusiasm for the genre will shine through in your photos and you will increase your chances of being hired.
8. For other genres of photography such as landscape, or my specialism, infrared photography, my knowledge of the type of weather required for the photoshoot is vital, as is the ability to visualise the final photo after editing.
9. If you like a certain area of photography, you will find it easier to take great photos. I like football, rugby, golf and athletics and I find it easy to photograph these subjects, due to the knowledge I have acquired throughout the years.
10. Knowledge is usually gained through doing research and this will help you deal with all types of situations in your photography. For instance, although I had played a lot of golf, when I was asked to take take photos for a golf event for the first time, it was the first time I had tackled a photoshoot on this particular subject, so I conducted extensive research on golf photography, which definitely helped me take better photos of the 2 day event.
So, if you are looking for an event photographer in Edinburgh, Glasgow or Scotland, then contact me through the contact page or at my sister website at www.edinburghphotogrpaher.com Colin Wright Photography - Commercial Photographer in Edinburgh and Glasgow (edinburghphotographer.com).
Here is another interesting article on the subject. The Importance of the Subject in Your Photography (picturecorrect.com).
Hope that helps. Until next time.
Colin Wright Photography.